Feb 6, 2014

getting the most out of your mists

Hello there!!
Samantha here, and I'm super pumped to be on the Sweet Stamp Shop blog today!! :) Today I'm going to focus all about mists and 'out of the box' ways to use them! :)


I know I LOOOOVE using mists! they give an awesome 'messy' look to a project! And I'm the first to admit that 98% of the time, I either splatter the mist onto my project or spray it (either over a stencil or not)! I love the way that looks, but I was trying to come up new ways to use my mists and really stretch their 'I NEED TO USE THIS PRODUCT RIGHT NOW' factor! Ha ha!

My first thought was to paint with them, like watercolors!


And, since I'm currently in a love affair with the color gold (swoon) i used a Heidi Swapp Color Shine mist to really give me a goldy-shimmery look! :) And, people - I LOVE how this looks!! All I did was dip my paint brush into the mist bottle and lightly 'swipe' along the cardstock!


Those cute as can be little pears from the amazing Yummy Love stamp set really POP, don't you think?

My next thought was to combine misting with embossing folders! Sounds messy, right? Hmm, maybe a little! But so worth it! This is how I did it:


All I did was spray one side of the embossing folder (Lightly! - No pooling of color for this one!) and emboss the cardstock like i normally would! How did I not try this before?


I think this 'distressed' wood grain background is just AWESOME!!

Lastly, I tried what i thought was the most obvious way to use my mists more often...using them to tint my white embossing paste! I LOOOOOOOOOVE embossing paste, and since I have white, it's the perfect jumping off point to add color!


What you need to keep in mind here, is that you really need to play around to get the exact color you want and how many drops to use, etc. On one card i tinted my embossing paste with grey mist and it needed like 10 drops of color to mix, and for my card for this example, i used pink and only did 3 drops! So it really just depends on the color, and the amount of saturation you're looking for! :)

If you're intrigued to see the card i made with the pink tinted embossing paste - head on over to my blog! :)

What is your favorite way to use mists? I'm totally dying to find new ways to use this product! :)
All of my cards use the Yummy Love stamp set for the images and the Monogram Alpha stamp set for the sentiments! LOVE this pairing! :)



Have you been following the Sweet Stamp Shop on Pinterest? There is a TON of inspiration there, if you're ever feeling like you need a creative jump start! And if that doesn't help - the Sweet Stamp Shop Flickr account is filled to the brim with amazingly SWEET creations!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Samantha Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Samantha, great post! I don't have any spray mists yet (I'm too OCD to get messy, I guess!) but I had to say how brilliant it is to use them with an embossing folder...I LOVE the distressed look it gives! Such sweet cards, love those adorable fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! I really need to use my mists some more!!! You have inspired me to get messy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super fun posts...can't wait to play with my mists tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH.. these are fun tips! Love the embossing one a lot (although I do not have an embossing machine)... the paste tip is fun too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these tips!!! I finally got some embossing paste, so now I know what I can use my mists for (since the spray nozzle doesn't work and I gave up trying to fix them!!!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!!! I love the cards and what great ideas for mists. I'm breaking mine out today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great series, samantha. i love all my sprays so much. They are so versatile :) and you really showed that. such a good idea to mix with he embossing paste

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete